is an extension of the original cardiffschools.net
for Primary Schools. It is an optional offering by the ICT and
Education Departments of the City Council to the 114 Primary schools
in the area.
The project builds upon the 10Mbps broadband connections now being
installed across the County and provides services including :-
- a community based web site - with interactive functions and
controlled by a simple content management system.
- a web based desktop for every user
- a customisable Internet enabled web presence for individuals
- intelligent mailing and contact management abilities
- a comprehensive multimedia authoring and distribution system
- real-time video interaction capability
- a flexible environment enabling users to share data across the
- an ability to reduce administrative overheads
Six schools are piloting the project although we welcome other
schools who wish to monitor or take part in the partial use of the
Developing Skills with ICT - across the
|There are a range of skills which you
can teach and develop through use of digital video - including ICT
and other more 'discrete' skills - depending on the hardware, the
software and the project.
- encouraging team working
- allocating and negotiating
- developing problem solving
- stimulating discussion,
evaluation and critical thinking
- reflecting on and evaluating
- offering immediate feedback.
Language of the moving image:
- framing – when and why to use
close-ups, long shots, and so on
- the need to use a variety of
- camera position – the use of
high and low angles
- lens – effect of wide-angle
- the effect of lighting colour
– warm (reddish) and cold (blueish)
- 'shot/reverse shot' – how
drama scenes or interviews use separate shots so that, when
edited, it seems that characters are facing each other
- how natural sound and music can
add or change meaning
- how editing can affect mood,
such as by creating tension
- how transitions (such as
dissolves and fades) change the meaning of a sequence or show
the passage of time.
more from BECTA)
Details about the training sessions are available here.
A library of images used in the project is here.
Laptops for every teacher and tablets for every student -
provided, at no cost, as part of your education.
City-wide broadband Internet access freely available via
A simple ability to create complex and individual content for
others to interact with and
an electronic personal assistant to screen you from rubbish and
alert you to treasures in cyberspace.